Skip to main content

Staying Fit

I typically run to stay fit and feel good.

Running is my favorite way to distress and spend time outside.  I can and prefer to run along with no expectations other than to just run.  But on occasion I like to run with other people.  When I can manage it, I drive to downtown Houston in rush hour traffic to run with a running group.  At times, there are 100+ people that show up and run either a 5 mile loop or a 3 mile loop.  I've recruited a couple people to run on Wednesday's as well.

I've missed about 3 or 4 Wednesday in a row and will miss today as well because....LIFE.  As a working professional, wife and mother of 3 driving 30-45 minutes downtown during rush hour can be almost impossible.

And then I was invited to run with another group that meets up on Saturday mornings around 5 or 530!!  It's perfect except for the fact that this Saturday, my husband has plans to help a co-worker move.....such is L.I.F.E.

Our kids are still not at an age where they can stay home alone for a couple of hours and I don't want to wish the time away but I'm looking forward to the mornings that I can head out for a run and not have to rearrange or work out conflicted schedules with my husband so much.

So for the time being, I will continue to either run solo or with the hubby at lunch and on the random weekend afternoons when I can escape for a few miles.  Even if that means one of the kids tags along on their bike.  Those are some of my favorite runs by the way.

I'm so glad that the kids are finding exercise fun, even if mom runs slower than they ride their bikes :)  Spending time with them outside doing physical activity is such a great way to bond no matter how much or how little we talk.  We are still bonding and it makes this momma's heart so happy.

We had quite a bit of rain in the last week or so here in Houston and I have my gym membership on hold because I haven't been using it so running has been happening much less than I prefer.

So to combat the feeling of needing some sort of outlet, I have started doing a couple of  workouts once the kids are all in bed.  The first is a @BikiniBodyMommy workout.  She has a great selection of free workouts posted online and I'm currently going through 7.0.  The workouts are great for those that are short on time but crave a good workout.

In addition to the BBM workouts, I've also been doing the workouts that are pre-loaded on my FitBit Blaze.  I currently alternate between the 10 minute ab workout and the 7 minute full body workout.  Both are great and loaded directly on my watch.  When I select the workout, it shows a brief preview with a countdown and then it's time to get to work!

And finally I will do a set number of squats.  Right now, I'm using the squat challenge that was posted previously by Sia with @diaryofafitmommyofficial.  I just started the squat challenge but so far so good.  I'm doing a crab walk squat with resistance bands....some days, I wonder what I was things because after a certain number squats they are hard enough on their own....

So....the whole point to this rambling post is that I'm not running as much as I want because LIFE happens but I'm still staying active even without an expensive gym membership and equipment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Black Dress

As opposed to the little black dress the simple black dress for me is a bit more casual and can be worn a multitude of different ways. Yesterday for instance I paired my simple black dress with tall brown boots, a floral scarf and a little beige sweater/cardigan.  It look instantly pulled together, comfy, yet office appropriate for a Monday with no meetings in sight. The dress pictured and linked is very similar to the one I wore from Old Navy that I picked up a couple of summers back for $10!!  The scarf is identical and I love it!   I wear it with a lot of items in my closet.  The sweater/cardi is similar in color and I love how comfy yet pulled together it is.  The boots are similar as well in color and style. Dress , Scarf , Sweater , Boots     

Indoor Tri

So as of yesterday, I am signed up to complete an Ironman Indoor Triathlon!  I have no doubt that it is easier to complete an indoor triathlon but I'm sure it will still be challenging. So here's the low down - I will swim laps for 10 minutes, bike for 30 minutes and run for 20 minutes.  All seems easy right?  Yea, that's what I thought as well until I got in the pool to swim laps yesterday with the Mr.  Swimming has become much harder the older I have gotten!  I remember swimming the day away as a kid and never being tired or ready for a nap as soon as I crawled out of the pool, lol.  I attempted to swim the majority of the 10 minutes with a regular stroke - a breast stroke I believe it what it is called.  Again, so hard!  I had to keep changing the way I was swimming, so I would flip over and swim/float on my back and then I would swim underwater for a while and then again, swim over.... Needless to say, I will need to practice on the swimming part the most :) I bik

Favorite Combo's

I have a couple of color combinations that I love together and was recently reminded of one that I don't wear all that often - beige, black, dark pink/fuchsia and blue/teal for an extra pop of color. I was a little lost on what I was going to wear to work the other day because nothing seemed appealing that was clean.  I had to literally force myself to just throw something on and when I did, I was in love!  And I love when that happens on those terrible mornings. Cardigan , Button-Up , Shoes , Skirt Here is an example of a similar outfit that I wore this week with the colors that I mentioned.  All items are similar to the brand and price point that I was at for all items purchased.  In addition to making a great outfit when put together, they also are wardrobe staples that can help you create many, many outfits with items already in your closet. I hope that y'all have a great weekend!