Skip to main content

Valentine's Surprise

So now that the laundry room shelf is done and I pleasantly surprised myself with how well it turned out I have decided that there is no reason that I cannot make the kids a giant chalkboard for the playroom!

They kids know that they are getting a surprise for Valentine's Day and that it is something that I am making, but they have not figured it out yet.  One of the main reasons that I decided to do this is because they need another creative outlet.  I don't let them color with crayons or markers all of the time because they have colored on the walls, the floors, and each other....  Secondly, we don't have enough wall space to keep every single thing they create.

The girls are very creative and really like to color together.  James like to color and draw as well when he is not playing Minecraft or creating elaborate train tracks that no one is allowed to help with...

So, I have painted two coats of the chalk board paint on my sanded down plywood.  The sanding down process was all by hand because we do not have an electric sander anymore and it wasn't that rough.  As I mentioned in my last post, I bought really, really nice plywood without realizing it :)  That is what my inexperience has gotten me, haha

The last things that I need to do are 1) point one additional coat on the wood, for a total of 3 coats of paint, 2) cut the planks for a board/trim,  3) paint the trim,  4)attach the burlap to the back of the plywood,  5) attach the trim to the front of the chalkboard.

Now as I sit here thinking about the amount of burlap that I have - purchased a roll at Lowe's in the garden section, I am wondering if I can create some sort of boarder with it.  I think a really cool burlap boarder on the top would give it a softer feel than I wood boarder.  The wood boarder makes me think of a classroom from school - not bad but not exactly what I initially had in mind for the playroom...  I think it may be time to Google it and maybe look on Pinterest.

Here is the progress so far - I can't wait until it is done and they are able to see the finished product and are able to use it!!


 This is the plywood after it had been sanded down and painted with primer


Here are the things that I picked up from Lowe's to get started - Jobe's all purpose burlap, chalkboard paint, a small roller and paint tray


The chalkboard paint did not look black when I poured it out - it look navy which made me nervous.  I really thought that I had picked up the wrong can.


This is after one coat of paint.  As you can see, it dries to a nice chalkboard black finish.  It is recommended that the wood be primed and have 2-3 coats applied with 24 hours drying time in between.  I will put the final coat on tonight and hopefully finish up the rest on Friday night or early Saturday morning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indoor Tri

So as of yesterday, I am signed up to complete an Ironman Indoor Triathlon!  I have no doubt that it is easier to complete an indoor triathlon but I'm sure it will still be challenging. So here's the low down - I will swim laps for 10 minutes, bike for 30 minutes and run for 20 minutes.  All seems easy right?  Yea, that's what I thought as well until I got in the pool to swim laps yesterday with the Mr.  Swimming has become much harder the older I have gotten!  I remember swimming the day away as a kid and never being tired or ready for a nap as soon as I crawled out of the pool, lol.  I attempted to swim the majority of the 10 minutes with a regular stroke - a breast stroke I believe it what it is called.  Again, so hard!  I had to keep changing the way I was swimming, so I would flip over and swim/float on my back and then I would swim underwater for a while and then again, swim over.... Needless to say, I will need to practice on the swimming part the most :) I bik

Simple Black Dress

As opposed to the little black dress the simple black dress for me is a bit more casual and can be worn a multitude of different ways. Yesterday for instance I paired my simple black dress with tall brown boots, a floral scarf and a little beige sweater/cardigan.  It look instantly pulled together, comfy, yet office appropriate for a Monday with no meetings in sight. The dress pictured and linked is very similar to the one I wore from Old Navy that I picked up a couple of summers back for $10!!  The scarf is identical and I love it!   I wear it with a lot of items in my closet.  The sweater/cardi is similar in color and I love how comfy yet pulled together it is.  The boots are similar as well in color and style. Dress , Scarf , Sweater , Boots     

Upcoming Trip

So in just about 2 months exactly I will be in Berlin Germany for a work trip!  I am super excited about getting to travel and am really looking forward to putting together some great outfits for the trip.  The flight is going to be about 13 hours total, so comfortable attire there and back is also a huge must.  My flight was only 4 hours to Panama so my attire was a maxi skirt, short sleeve shirt, jean jacket and knock-off Toms that are some of the most comfortable shoes I own. There is never much down time so all of my attire has to be business casual or business professional.  Last year, I went to Panama City, Panama so I can't take the same outfits since the climates are drastically different.  So over the next few week, I will be sharing ideas I have for what I will wear for the conference.  And what items I will be adding to my wardrobe :) I am really hoping that I will have a bit of time to run with a co-worker so that we can see some of the sights